Re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship is regulated in Turkish Citizenship Law as one acquisition of Turkish citizenship after birth. The way to re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship is one of the types of acquisition with the decision of the competent authority.
A dual distinction should be made regarding the re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship. Re-acquisition of Turkish Citizenship based on residence permit as a condition and Re-acquisition of Turkish Citizenship without laying down residence permit as a condition. Different situations have been determined in terms of these two re-acquisition ways.
In this article, we will discuss both of re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship ways. If you want to get detailed information about this topic, you should stay with us and keep reading!
Re-acquisition of Turkish Citizenship Conditions
For the re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship, a distinction is made in the residence requirement. While the residence is not required in some cases in the law, in some cases, a three-year residence requirement is required in terms of regaining Turkish citizenship.
Conditions of Re-acquisition of Turkish Citizenship Without Laying Down Residence Permit as a Condition
In the Turkish Citizenship Law art.13, two situations have been determined regarding the re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship without laying down residence permit as a condition. Only those who meet these conditions can apply to re acquisition of Turkish citizenship regardless of the residence condition. These people are as follows:
- Those who had lost Turkish citizenship by obtaining renunciation permission,
- Of the persons who had lost their citizenship because of their parents, those who did not enjoy the right of choice (right to apply) within the 3 years.
In addition to all these, as a general condition, the above-mentioned persons’ re-acquisitions of Turkish citizenship applications must not cause problems in terms of national security and public order t. The relevant authorities investigate whether the person creates an issue in terms of national security a public order.
Conditions of Re-acquisition of Turkish Citizenship Based on Residence Permit as a Condition
Re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship depending on the residence condition is explained in article 14 of Turkish Citizenship Law. According to the provision, those who lost their Turkish citizenship by the President’s decision and those who lost their Turkish citizenship with the right of choice can re-acquire their Turkish citizenship in this way.
According to the Turkish Citizenship Law art.29, those who have lost their Turkish citizenship by a presidential decision are as follows:
- Those who render services for another State which is contradicting with the interests of the Turkish State and who do not voluntarily terminate the services within a reasonable period not less than three months, despite a notification issued by Diplomatic Representations abroad or by local administrative authorities within Turkey.
- Those who render any kind of service voluntarily for a State in war with Turkey without the permission of the Council of Ministers.
- Those who render military service voluntarily for another State without obtaining permission.
According to Turkish Nationality Law art.34, those who loss of Turkish citizenship by right of choice:
- From among persons who acquire Turkish citizenship by birth because of kinship tie to mother or father; those who acquire the citizenship of a foreign mother or a father by birth or afterwards;
- From among persons who are Turkish citizens by kinship tie to (by descent of) mother and father; those who acquire citizenship of another State by place of birth;
- Those who acquire Turkish citizenship by adoption;
- Those who acquire citizenship of their foreign mother or father afterwards, although she/he has acquired Turkish citizenship by place of birth;
- Those who acquire Turkish citizenship because of the mother or father who acquired Turkish citizenship anyhow.
Re-acquisition of Turkish Citizenship Required Documents
There are some documents that must be submitted to the competent authorities in order to re-acquire Turkish citizenship. Required documents are the same in terms of residence conditions and non-residence conditions. The documents to be submitted are as follows:
- Application form,
- 2 biometric photos,
- Document showing which state the person is a citizen of,
- Marital status certificate,
- Document regarding the changes in marital status after the person lost Turkish citizenship,
- If married, a document showing the family ties of the spouse and children,
- If there has been a change in the identity information of the person after losing Turkish citizenship, a document showing this,
- Document that he has been residing in Turkey for three years, and a residence permit for a period of time sufficient to finalize the citizenship procedures,
- Service fee receipt.
Re-acquisition of Turkish Citizenship Process
Persons who meet the above conditions for the re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship can initiate procedures by applying to the competent authorities together with the documents to be submitted. A detailed and step-by-step procedure has been determined for the re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship. For the acquisition of Turkish citizenship, these steps must be taken into account and the procedures must be done completely.
After filling out the application form, an application should be made to the competent authorities. The competent authority is the governorship where the settlement is located in the country, and the foreign representations abroad. Applications can be made in person or through a specially authorized representative.
Re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship applications of minors or those who lack the discretion power should be made by their parents or guardians.
Re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship is possible in the presence of certain situations. In some cases, Re-acquisition of Turkish Citizenship without laying down residence permit as a condition is possible. In these cases, the authority to grant citizenship belongs to the Ministry. In some other cases as explained above, re-acquisition of Turkish Citizenship based on residence permit as a condition is possible too. In these cases, citizenship is acquired by the decision of the President.
Re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship has a detailed procedure. The lack of necessary procedures may result in the cancellation of citizenship. In this respect, it is extremely important to get legal consultancy from a lawyer.
Topo Law Firm has been providing legal consultancy to its foreign clients for many years with its dynamic and experienced lawyers who are experts in their field. You can contact us to get detailed information about the subject from our expert lawyers.
FAQ About Re-acquisition of Turkish Citizenship
1. Can Turkish citizens have dual citizenship?
Yes, the Republic of Turkey accepts dual citizenship.
2. Can Turkish citizenship be revoked?
There are three different states of loss of citizenship in Turkey. They are either, cancellation, revocation, or renunciation.
3. In cases that re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship based on residence permit as a condition, is it possible to apply before the 3-year residency period expires?
No, the 3-year residence period must have expired, not when re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship is acquired, but when an application for Turkish citizenship is made.